Here are some notes I took yesterday from the message at Oak Leaf Church. We are in a series called Remix here we are looking back at messages from the past. This one is on parenting and here is what I re-learned
1) Good parenting takes time!
- Kids want our time
- Time cannot be replaced with stuff
- It is OK for things to go undone
- Something has to get cheated don’t let it be family
- Primary job is to lead kids to Christ
- Ephesians 6:4
2) Good parenting takes a team
-Mom and Dad have to be on the same page
-Family and Church must work together
-Avg time at church 40 hrs/yr (The church cannot raise your kids)
-Parents get 3000 hrs/yr (what do you do with that time?)
-Check out resources at Oak Leaf Church Kids
-Get involved in church with kids
3) Kids don’t need you to be their friend they need a parent.
-Kids need discipline, punishment at times but teaching as well
Types of Parents:
Lifeguard Parent- always bails them out
Parents cannot protect their kids from every bad influence…their job
is to teach them how to respond to bad influences.
Etch a Sketch parents- the rules always change and aren’t consistent
-bedtimes are important
-teenagers need a curfew
-calendar needs limits
-less rules are better
3 simple all encompassing rules Obey, Be Kind, Respect
3) Parent Police
-Always want to catch them doing wrong
-Catch them doing something right!
-Have a reward tool